Peanut Butter Cookies
Originally from a scanned page of a cookbook in my mom's kitchen.
Makes about 40 cookies.
- ½ cup butter or shortening, softened (113g)
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar (100g)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (100g)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup peanut butter (240g)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 1½ cups all-purpose flour (136g to 202g)
- Hershey's Kisses (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Beat butter/shortening until soft.
- Add sugars gradually, blending until creamy.
- Beat in egg, peanut butter, salt, baking soda, and vanilla.
- Mix in the flour.
- Roll the dough into small balls and then roll the balls in granulated sugar to lightly coat.
- Press some of the cookies flat with a fork.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Press a Hershey's Kiss into un-flattened cookies after taking them out.