Originally from: https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fluffyamericanpancak_74828
Originally from [bbc.co.uk][BBC].
Makes: 5 large / 10 mini
@ -8,7 +8,7 @@ Makes: 5 large / 10 mini
- 135g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp caster sugar¹
- 2 tbsp caster sugar[^1]
- 140ml milk (cow, soy, almond, whatever)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 60g melted butter (allowed to cool slightly) or vegetable oil, plus extra for cooking
@ -16,8 +16,6 @@ Makes: 5 large / 10 mini
- A few drops of orange blossom water (optional)
- A sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
¹ Use regular granulated sugar and blend it for a few seconds to create caster sugar
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and caster sugar into a large bowl. In a separate bowl or jug, lightly whisk together the milk and egg, then whisk in the melted butter.
@ -25,3 +23,7 @@ Makes: 5 large / 10 mini
3. Heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter. When it's melted, wipe with a paper towel to remove the bubbles and add a ladle of batter. It will seem very thick but this is how it should be. Wait until the top of the pancake begins to bubble, then turn it over and cook until both sides are golden brown and the pancake has risen to about 1cm (½in) thick.
4. Repeat until all the batter is used up. You can keep the pancakes warm in a low oven, but they taste best fresh out the pan.
5. Serve with lashings of real maple syrup and extra butter, if you like.